flowers

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lab day

So Friday I had to go and get labs taken. Let me just say this is one of my least favorite things to do.  Before I left the house my stomach was in knots and I just kept thinking  that maybe I should try it the way Emily gets her blood drawn.  She insists on them taking blood from her in her hand.  She says it doesnt hurt as bad as the arm.  I kept telling myself ~ I have to try it sometime and Friday was going to be the day!

I took Emily to school and drove over to the doctors office with Ben in tow.  We got into the room where they do the labs and Ben immediately starts to tear my purse apart and pulling EVERYTHING out!  As I was sitting there trying to pay attention to the girl with the needle so I could inform her I wanted to be more like my daughter and also trying to watch what Ben pulls out, before I knew it I hear the words "a little poke".  Seriously....it was in my arm.  Its not like it hurts but it really is so uncomfortable.  This time I really wanted to try and be like Emily and to really try and get it taken in the hand...I guess I will have to wait until next time.

I am amazed ~ even more ~ how far she has come.  I remember the first time in 2007 when she had to have labs it would literally take about 5 people to hold her down and that was a couple times a day.  Now, she is taking her lab sheet (what has circled what they need ) and is in the lab room before I am even leaving  the room we were in.  She is usually beating me getting her labs done before I am finished making the next appt.  

She has grown so much in the past 5 years.  This is her "normal" and its something that isnt a big deal really to anyone but its sad to me.  Sometimes I wish it was still like it was before where it took an army, almost, to hold her down ~ it would mean she wasnt used to it.  It would mean its not part of her normal life to have regular blood draws.  

I hope next time I have to have it done, I can remember to have it done from my hand so I can share something with her.  She is so amazing having to to this almost monthly .  She is my hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment