flowers

Monday, May 20, 2013

And the award goes to.....

Study to shew yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15


This verse is the theme verse for Awana.    We finished our year in Awana last week.  It was the award night.  This was my first year participating in it (I am the secretary for the kindergarteners).  It was a little bittersweet.  How the year went by so fast.

As this being my first year, I can honestly say it was different from what I expected.  Not in a bad way, by any means.  I didnt know what to expect. I should back up and say ~ to be selfish ~ when I heard that they were in need of help, I said...not this year but next.  I wanted to sit home and enjoy a house that was quiet.  This would be Benjamin's first year in it as well and I would have a couple hours of just quiet.  Apparently, the Lord had other plans in mind.  The secretary position was in need of someone.  Bryan came home one night after a Awana meeting and mentioned it to me.  I kept saying Lord, I want my time.  I quickly learned that when its the Lord moving....you move!

I knew how hard my kids worked to achieve the goals the were working for.  I mean they worked hard.  I amazed me at Benjamin wanting to say more then one verse each week because Emily could.  He ended up finishing his book plus the extra credit verses and the
Benjamin right after he received his award!

 extra things that have in the book!  The joy on his face when he received his award was incredible.  The fact that I didnt have to fight (too much) with him to learn the verses and that he wanted to do his best was so inspiring at just the age of 3 (and now 4).


Emily ~ she amazes me each year.  This is her second year participating in the program.  Last year she completed 3 books in one year.  This year she completed her entire book plus the review and the gold review.  She worked hard and literally up to the last minute to complete this!  This was her goal at the beginning of the year and she was successful!    There was only Emily and one or two others that accomplished this!  It brings my heart such joy when my kids WANT to learn these verses, that they WANT to go to Awana and to know ~ if this
Emily coming off the stage after receiving her awards
brings me this much joy and pride in my kids ~ I cant imagine how the Lord feels!


I must continue, though, and explain why it was different then I expected.  I didnt expect to look forward to seeing these kids each week.  I didnt expect to love these kids as much as I do.  I didnt expect to be amazed at seeing how God was moving in each of them.  I didnt expect to be so proud of kids that werent even my own.  I didnt expect to be so proud that I was getting so choked up giving them their awards ~ even if it was simply their participation ribbon.  The fact that they came, they wanted to come, each week.  The fact that they told you things about themselves.  

I feel so honored and blessed to do what God has asked me to do.  That I moved when HE said move instead of ignore His voice to be selfish and stay home.  Dont get me wrong, I
Emily came to show me her award first! 
feel every mom (especially stay-at-home moms) NEED some time by themselves but I also feel when you hear HIS voice ~ His plans are going to be far more rewarding that catching up on the DVR!


 As sadden as I am that this year of Awana has ended, I do say with a heart full of joy and eagerness ~ I look forward to next year and seeing how the Lord will move in the hearts of these kids.   




No comments:

Post a Comment