flowers

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Finish what you start -

"Finish what you start" was said to me on Friday and made me think.....

Backing up, on Friday morning when Bryan was leaving for work he asked me to get everything out of the kids bathroom so he could clean it when he got  home.  When he said it my thoughts immediately went to ~ this is his way of telling me im not doing my "job" or sending me a little message of get in there and clean it today.  A bunch of thoughts were there but what I didnt think is what was REALLY meant ~ nothing.  He was going to clean the bathroom...simple as that.  It makes me wonder why I (and maybe alot of woman) tend to think there is more to a simple comment.  Why we beat ourselves up so much.  So not taking the comment for what it was and what I   made it out to be, I went in and cleaned the bathroom.  What i didnt realize though was how gross the floor was.  I found the "Mr. Clean bathroom eraser" and started in line by line on the bathroom floor.  Completely amazed by how clean it was getting.  I stopped because of having to get Emily but vowed I would finish before Bryan got home from work.  

So my plan didnt go like I thought it would.  When we got home (and yes, before Bryan got home) I immediately went upstairs to do the other request he asked and then I decided to change the sheets on our bed and Emily's.  By that time Bryan was home and coming up the stairs to change his clothes.  He asked about the bathroom and said he was going to do it that i didnt have to do it.  I said well, the floor needs to be finished you can do that.  That is when the comment was made...he said it to me.  He looked at me and flat out told me NO!  He was not going to finish cleaning it.  He said I started it, I can finish it.  I tried to talk him into finishing it for me and he said "For once, just finish something you start".  I was taken back by the comment.  I went into the bathroom, closed the door and started scrubbing my anger out on the floor.  As I was going into "self-pity" mode, it hit me.  There are several times in my life that I can think of that I start something and never finish it.  I will buy things with good intention of starting the project but never seeing it thru.    So, as I sat there in the bathroom, scrubbing the floor ~ instead of crying because I was hurt and mad, I opted to thank God for bringing it to my attention.  Reminding me that there is so much that I need to finish that I have started.

Think about it....if we were all that way, how messed up with the world be?  I think about Emily and when she was being cared for in ICU ~ what if her doctors would have said "forget it, I want to move to a different patient and come back to her whenever" or what about her doctor she sees on a regular basis.  Its a scary thought and I feel blessed that these people finish what they start ~ especially in the medical area!

I also was reminded of a song.  I remember this song from when I was probably Emily's age.  Maybe some of you remember it.  Its called "He's still working on me".  If there was anything I wouldnt want finished it would be HIM working on me!  He isnt finished and I hope I will be patient as He continues to work on me.   I have attached a video of it with the lyrics.  Hopefully it will bring back some memories for some of you.  

What do you need to finish in your life?  I know I will be making a list, but this time I WILL be completing the list!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment