flowers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolution or Goal?

Today I was really going to go into dept about Emily and how her sickness started, what has happened over the course of 5 years and where she is right now....but I have just had something weighting on me that i wanted to get out there.  

I know this seems like a weird time to blog about New Years Resolutions considering we are already on the 3rd of the new year...but I still wanted to talk about it.   What do you do?  Do you make a resolution?  Do you stick with it?  Most people make them and only break them and generally, its the first day, first week or by the end of January that the resolution has been broken and there you go....set the new one for the following year.  Because of this cycle that happens every year, I started last year making GOALS instead of resolutions.  Goals seem to be something you can shoot for for the entire year where a resolution seems to be something where if you break it, give up, feel guilt and wait until the following new year to start again.  With a goal, there is no feeling guilty...its an on-going thing throughout the year, something to accomplish and to feel proud of!


Saying all that, I didnt accomplish some of the goals that i set out to accomplish from 2011.  Do I feel guilty ~ NO!  Do I wish i would have tried harder to accomplish the goal, YES!  Here are some of the goals I had set up for 2011
  • Be more diligent in my devotions and time with God
  • lose weight
  • pay off debt
  • read 12 books in a year
  • be more patient
  • stick with the budget
As good as these are, i really only accomplished the "read 12 books", i actually read 22 books this year (and thats starting in July).  I have become more diligent in my devotions and time with God, however, dont we all NEED more time then what we are actually giving?  That will be on my goal list probably forever!  So as i reflected on what i wanted my goals to be for this year ~  it was basically the same...the difference being 1) i am increasing the number of books to 30  and 2) this year I finally feel I am at a place to take care of me.  I feel like this year I can actually set out and accomplish the goals i have set in place.  Although all of them but my devotions  will be difficult for me (because i LOVE my quiet time with God)  this will mean I will have to go thru a divorce with Target, especially!  You know you go there too much when the workers come up to you and ask how your doing! But I will also have some separation anxiety with Visa and Mastercard!  I love my family and my Lord enough to do this ~ that is why I have a good feeling about this year!


So will you choose a Resolution, only to be broken or a Goal, to work at something to accomplish the entire year?
Until tomorrow.....
saved by Him,
Tricia

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this concept! Goals are something that we always see on the football field. The players always have it in their sights so it always seems attainable. Resolutions are almost a last minute thought or something that is rather thought of in haste.
    I love this post today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this GOAL thinking is wonderful - I've done that but haven't thought of it instead of a resolution (which I break everytime). One of my goals was to lose 5% of the total weight that I wanted to lose. Since I've lost that 5%, now my goal is to lose the next 5%. That doesn't seem so big as the total amount. I love the idea of goals because you don't break a goal - it might take you some time to get there but the goal is still there to work on. Love reading your daily thoughts Tricia - I look forward to them!!

    ReplyDelete