flowers

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The glass is half full

 Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.


 
How do you think?  Do you see the glass is half full or half empty?  Do you see it as a lost sock or you have one sock?   

In our Sunday school class this past Sunday, our teacher has started a new series and this week it was about "Thoughts".  This could be interesting, right?  Have you ever thought about your thoughts?  I know, that sounds weird!  But really...I never thought about it before until I was in his class listening to him.  

We can sit and please God by our actions.  We can please Him by saying the "right" thing.  We can please Him by giving Him the glory when we are church or telling others of Him.  But the question becomes do we please Him with our thoughts?  The things I just mentioned are outward actions.  I mean - others can see what we are doing and see how we are serving Him.  But are we serving Him COMPLETELY?  Are we serving Him with our thoughts as well.

When Emily has been in the hospital, I would openly be reading a Christian  book or pull out my Bible and be doing my devotions ~ right there in her room.  Right there so anyone could walk up and see my Bible open and know what I was doing.  I knew that I maybe asked about my faith.   I was never approached about my readings but I was approached several times on "how we do it".  After the first couple times of being asked that, I no longer had to ask "how we do what"?  I knew what they were talking about.  Nurses and even some parents of other patients - would ask "how do you do it".  Nurses would say they have seen patients with a lot less medical issues going on and the parents are a basket case.  Trust me, I was a basket case too but my answer was ALWAYS the same.  The only way we make it is by our faith in Jesus Christ.  The way we handle things is by knowing that HE IS IN CONTROL.  Knowing that Emily is in His hands ~ that is how I can sit at her bedside each night, go with her to every surgery, be there with every blood drawn.  This is how I make it each and every day.  I felt just the actions were a testimony for my Lord.

The issue, for me and especially after hearing our lesson Sunday, would be if my thoughts werent following in the same suit.  I mean if my actions were the ones of all worship to God and if my words were saying one thing but deep inside...i didnt believe what I said.  If I, deep down, somehow blamed the doctors for not figuring out what was wrong with Emily sooner.  Or I spoke one thing but felt completely different inside...theres a problem there! Now, I am not saying I am perfect.  I am not saying that i never have a thought that isnt right or that isnt pleasing to God.  What I am saying though, is especially now, I am going to strive to make sure my thoughts will be the same as my actions.  I am going to work on making sure that the thoughts that I think about or dwell on during the day will be pleasing to the Lord.  

Some of my issues are to dwell on the past.  This is a BIG issue with me that I am working on.  Dwelling on times when I didnt feel good enough, or times when things didnt go right or maybe when i completely messed up and wished for a "do over".  Then there are thoughts where I may question did I say the right thing when I asked Jesus to live in my heart ~  when my kids asked Jesus into their hearts ~ did I make sure they said the right thing.  I am learning that Satan wants us so badly to dwell on things that are not right and make us question things that are concerning God.  By me questions my salvation or my kids is just not right.  I know, now, that Satan is trying to mess with me and I will not allow it anymore!  I realize that dwelling on the past is also not right.  I have to remember the past is just that...the past!

I will make sure my thoughts are thoughts that are right, pure and on God!  If they arent, I ask that they maybe taken away and quickly.

I also learned that another way to keep positive, pure, pleasing thoughts on God is to be in the company of other believers.   Have you ever been around someone where all they did was complain?  Have you ever found yourself after being with someone like that - that you are complaining or being so negative?  I know its that way with me. Sometimes it can almost be a toxic thing.  I know, for me, it can get exhausting and then almost depressing when you Im finished with the conversation.

Next time you go out with your friends think about the company you are going to be in.  Think about if this is pleasing to God.  Next, think about your actions...do your actions and thoughts line up?   Make sure that you are a witness not just by your actions but that your thoughts line up with those actions!

One of my new favorite singers is Colton Dixon.  Here is a song that I think goes perfectly with this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment